Monday, December 11, 2006

"Forget the bull whip..."

Well, CNN has done us all a service and posted a feature on how to make it as an archaeologist, folks! Overall, it's not as terrible as I expected something like this to be on CNN (hey, they do stress the need for appropriate credentials!). As someone who recently turned in a draft of his dissertation, though, my personal favorite advice is....

Resign yourself to a lifetime of poorly-paid obscurity

"Archaeology is a tough business, and certainly not for those who crave either their creature comforts or a healthy bank balance... If you are not utterly obsessed with the subject, to the exclusion of all else, then archaeology is probably not for you."

Mamma mia! Seriously, folks, it ain't that bad... unless of course I am so utterly obsessed with cavemen to the exclusion of everything else that I didn't realize this until now... thanks, CNN!

3 comments:

Alexandre Steenhuyse said...

Now you're telling me! and I thought I was working for gold and glory... great post on Coulson!

Julien Riel-Salvatore said...

Yeah, I know... right when we turn in the dissertation! Talk about timing, right?! Thanks for the kind comment on the Rhino Cave post.

Alexandre Steenhuyse said...

You bet, your post made me feel better about the whole story... and yeah I guess we just might be that obsessed...